Annalisa Masi was born in Rome. She graduated from University of Rome "La Sapienza" in Chemistry in 2000 studding the diastereoselective synthesis of 13-Stemarene. She obtained a Ph.D in Pharmaceutical Science at University of Rome "La Sapienza" in 2006 working in the field of Medicinal Chemistry, her thesis was focused on the design and synthesis of bioactive peptide. From 2003 to 2010 she worked in the laboratory obtained different collaboration grants conferred by CNR Crystallographic Institute. During her formation and postdoctoral work experience she acquired significantly increased her expertise in the chemistry of nucleic acids, in the study of the structure-function relationships in proteins and nucleic acids, in their complexes between them and with small molecules, methodological developments for facilitating structural studies on bio.macromolecules, by the synthesis of modified models. From Nov 2011 she is a permanent researcher at ISOF, CNR Bologna, in research's group BioFreeRadicals. At the present research interests are in the field of free radical chemistry, in the study of models of oxidative DNA damage: synthesis, purification and characterization of oligonucleotide models containing appropriately modified nucleosides for the study of enzymatic repair.
- "Assessment of DNA Topoisomerase I Unwinding Activity, Radical Scavenging Capacity, and Inhibition of Breast Cancer Cell Viability of N-alkylacridones and N,N′-dialkyl-9,9′-biacridylidenes"
Krokidis, M.G.; Molphy, Z.; Efthimiadou, E.K.; Kokoli, M.; Argyri, S.-M.; Dousi, I.; Masi, A.; Papadopoulos, K.; Kellett, A.; Chatgilialoglu, C. Biomolecules[i] [/i]2019, 9, 117.
- "Nucleotide Excision Repair and Impact of Site-Specific 5’,8-Cyclopurine and Bulky DNA Lesions on the Physical Properties of Nucleosomes." Shafirovich, V.; Kolbanovskiy, M.; Kropachev, K.; Liu, Z.; Cai, Y.; Terzidis, M.A.; Masi, A.; Chatgilialoglu, C.; Amin, S.; Dadali, A.; Broyde, S.; Geacintov, N.E. Biochemistry 2019, 58, 561–574.
- "Diastereomeric Recognition of 5',8-cyclo-2'-Deoxyadenosine Lesions by Human Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase 1 in a Biomimetic Model" Masi, A.; Sabbia, A.; Ferreri, C.; Manoli, F.; Lai, Y.; Laverde, E.; Liu, Y.; Krokidis, M.G.; Chatgilialoglu, C.; Faraone Mennella, M.R.Cells 2019, 8, 116 .
-" [Cu(TPMA)(Phen)](ClO4)2: Metallodrug Nanocontainer Delivery and Membrane Lipidomics of a Neuroblastoma Cell Line Coupled with a Liposome Biomimetic Model Focusing on Fatty Acid Reactivity.Toniolo, G.; Louka, M.; Menounou, G.; Fantoni, N.Z.; Mitrikas, G.; Efthimiadou, E.K.; Masi, A.; Bortolotti, M.; Polito, L.; Bolognesi, A.; Kellett, A.; Ferreri, C.; Chatgilialoglu, C. ACS Omega 2018, 3, 15952–15965.
- Fatty Acids in Membranes as Homeostatic, Metabolic and Nutritional Biomarkers: Recent Advancements in Analytics and Diagnostics. Carla Ferreri, Annalisa Masi, Anna Sansone, Giorgia Giacometti, Anna Vita Larocca, Georgia Menounou, Roberta Scanferlato, Silvia Tortorella, Domenico Rota, Marco Conti, Simone Deplano, Maria Louka, Anna Rosaria Maranini, Arianna Salati, Valentina Sunda and Chryssostomos Chatgilialoglu. Diagnostics 2017, 7, 1; doi:10.3390/diagnostics7010001.
- Regulatory roles of Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase-1 and Lipids in Epigenetic Mechanisms." Faraone Mennella MR, Masi A, Ferreri C. Book: The Handbook of Nutrition, Diet and Epigenetic Publisher:Springer 2017
- "Differences in the Access of Lesions to the Nucleotide Excision Repair Machinery in the Nucleosomes." Cai, Y., Kropachev, K., Terzidis, M.A., Masi, A., Chatgilialoglu, C., Shafirovich, V., Geacintov, N.E., Broyde, S. Biochemistry, 2015, 14; 54(27): 4181-5. doi: 10.1021/acs.biochem.5b00564.
- "Bypass of a 5',8-cyclopurine-2'-deoxynucleoside by DNA polymerase beta during DNA replication and base excision repair leads to nucleotide misinsertions and DNA strand breaks. Jiang, Z., Xu, M., Lai, Y., Laverde, E.E., Terzidis, M.A., Masi, A., Chatgilialoglu, C., Liu, Y. DNA Repair, 2015; 33:24-34. doi: 10.1016/j.dnarep.2015.06.004.
- "The association constant of 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxyguanosine with cytidine." Capobianco A, Caruso T, Fusco S, Terzidis MA, Masi A, Chatgilialoglu C and Peluso A. Front. Chem., 27 March 2015, doi: 10.3389/fchem.2015.00022.
- " Delocalized Hole Domains in Guanine-Rich DNA Oligonucleotides". Capobianco, A., Caruso, T., Fusco, S., Terzidis, M.A., Masi, A. Chatgilialoglu, C., Peluso, A. Front.Chem. 2015, 27,3, doi: 10.3389/fchem.2015.00022.
- "A 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxypurine lesion induces trinucleotide repeat deletion via a unique lesion bypass by DNA polymerase beta. "Xu M, Lai Y, Jiang Z, Terzidis MA, Masi A, Chatgilialoglu C, Liu Y. Nucleic Acids Res., 2014, 42(22), 13749-63.
- "Problem solving approach for the diastereoselective synthesis of (5'S)-and (5'R)-5',8 cyclopurine lesions." Chryssostomos Chatgilialoglu, Carla Ferreri, Annalisa Masi, Anna Sansone, Michael A. Terzidis and Michail Tsakos. Org. Chem. Front. 2014, doi: 10.1039/C4QO00133H.
- "Structural basis for the recognition of diastereomeric 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxypurine lesions by the human nucleotide excision repair system. K. Kropachev, S. Ding, M.A. Terzidis, A. Masi, Z. Liu,Y. Cai, M. Kolbanovskiy, C. Chatgilialoglu, S. Broyde, N.E. Geacintov and V. Shafirovich. Nucleic Acids Research. 2014, 1-13. Doi:10.1093/nar/gku162;
- "Free radicals in chemical biology : from chemical behavior to biomarker development", Chatgilialoglu C, Ferreri C, Masi A, Melchiorre M, Sansone A, Terzidis MA, Torregiani A. J. Vis. Exp. 74, 2013, 15; 74. doi: 10.3791/50379.
- "Pyrazinoporphyrazines with externally appended pyridine rings.13. Structure, UV-Visible spectral features, and non covalent interaction with DNA of a positively charged binuclear (Zn(II)/Pt(II)). Macrocycle with multimodal anticancer potentialities", Manet I, Manoli F, Donzello MP, Viola E, Masi A, Andreano G, Ricciardi G, Rosa A, Cellai L,Ercolani C, Monti S. Inorganic Chemistry. 2013, 52 (1), 321-8 ).
- " Biomimetic Models of Radical Stress and Related Biomarkers", Chatgilialoglu C, Ferreri C, Masi A, Melchiorre M, Sansone A, Terzidis M.A. and Torregiani A. Chimia, 2012, 66, 368-371.
- “ Inhibition of amyloid peptide fragment Aß25-35 fibrillogenesis and toxicity by N- terminal β-amino acid-containing esapeptides: is taurine moiety essential for in vivo effects?“ Cesare Giordano, Anna Sansone, Annalisa Masi, Alessandra Masci, Luciana Mosca, Roberta Chiaraluce, Alessandra Pasquo and Valerio Consalvi. Chemical Biology & Drug Design, 2012, 79, 30-37.
- “Tetra-2,3-pyrazinoporphyrazines with Externally Appended Pyridine Rings. 10. A Water Soluble Bimetallic (ZnII/PtII) Porphyrazine Hexacation as Potential Plurimodal Agent for Cancer Therapy: Exploring the Behaviour as Ligand of Telomeric DNA G Quadruplex Structures” Ilse Manet, Francesco Manoli, Maria Pia Donzello, Claudio Ercolani, Daniela Vittori, Luciano Cellai, Annalisa Masi, and Sandra Monti. Inorganic Chemistry, 2011, 50, 7403-11.
- “Complexes of the antitumoral drugs Doxorubicin and Sabarubicin with telomeric G-quadruplex in basket conformation: ground andexcited state properties”. Ilse Manet, Francesco Manoli, Barbara Zambelli, Giuseppina Andreano, Annalisa Masi, Luciano Cellai, Stefano Ottani, Giancarlo Marconi and Sandra Monti. Photochem.Photobiol. Sci. 2011, 10, 1236-37.
- “A cationic ZnII porphyrazine induces a stable parallel G-quadruplex conformation in human telomeric DNA” Manet I, Manoli F, Donzello MP, Viola E, Andreano G, Annalisa Masi, Cellai L, Monti S Org Biomol Chem. 2011, 9, 684 – 688.
- “Affinity of the anthracycline antitumoral drugs Doxorubicin and Sabarubicin for human telomeric G-quadruplex structures”. I. Manet, F. Manoli, B. Zambelli, G. Andreano, A. Masi, L. Cellai and S. Monti. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2011, 13, 540 – 551.
- "Synthesis and activity of endomorphin-2 and morphiceptin analogues with proline surrogates in position 2" C. Giordano, A. Sansone, A. Masi, G. Lucente, P. Punzi, A.Mollica, F. Pinnen, F. Feliciani, I. Cacciatore, P. Davis, J. Lai, S.W. Ma, F. Porreca, V. Hruby. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2010, 45, 4594-4600.
- “Indium-doped gallophosphate NH4[NiGa1.84In0.16(PO4)3(H2O)2]: synthesis, X-ray crystal structure and IR spectroscopy”. F. Capitelli, A. Masi, Brahim El Bali, R. Esserli. Z. Kristallogr. 2010, 225, 359-365.
- “Synthesis and activity of fibrillogenesis peptide inhibitors related to the 17-21 b-amyloid sequence”. C. Giordano, A. Masi, A. Pizzini, A. Sansone, V. Consalvi, R. Chiaraluce and G. Lucente. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2009, 44, 179-189.
- “Synthesis, conformation and biological acticity of centrally modified pseudopeptidic analogues of for-Met-Leu-Phe-OMe”. C. Giordano, G. Lucente, A. Masi, M. Paglialunga Paradisi, A. Sansone, S. Spisani. Amino Acids, 2007, 33 (3), 477.
- “ a-Peptide/b-sulfonamidopeptide hybrids: Analogs of the chemotactic agent for-Met-Leu-Phe-OMe”. C. Giordano, G. Lucente, A. Masi, M. Paglialunga Paradisi, A. Sansone, S.Spisani; Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2006, 14, 2642-2652.
Abstract / Poster
- A 5',8-cyclo-2'deoxynucleoside lesion induces trinucleotide repeat deletion via DNA polymerase beta. Xu, M., Jiang, Z., Terzidis, M.A., Masi, A., Chatgilialoglu, C., Liu, Y. . Conference: 45th Annual Meeting of the Enviromental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society (EMGS) Orlando, Sep 13th-17th, 2014. Enviromental and Molecular Mutagenesis. Vol. 55 Sup:1, pages: S54-S54. Meeting Abstract: P61.
- DNA Polymerase beta plays a predominant role in bypassing a 5',8-deoxypurine lesion during DNA replication and base excision repair. Xu, M., Jiang, Z., Terzidis, M.A., Masi, A., Chatgilialoglu, C., Liu, Y. Conference: 45th Annual Meeting of the Enviromental-Mutagenesis and Genomica Society (EMGS) Orlando, Sep 13th-17th, 2014. Enviromental and Molecular Mutagenesis. Vol:55 Supp 1, pages: S54-S54 Meeting Abstract: P62.
- Bypass of a 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxynucleoside by DNA polymerase beta leads to trinucleotide repeat deletion. M. Xu, Z. Jiang, M. Terzidis, A. Masi, C. Chatgilialoglu and Y. Liu. DNA Damage, Mutation and Cancer, meeting in Ventura (CA), March 16th-21th, 2014.
-Synthesis and properties of oligonucleotides containig purine 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxynucleoside-lesions as model of free radical DNA damage. A. Masi, C. Chatgilialoglu. COST CM1201, 1stWG2 meeting in Athens, Oct 17th-19th, 2013, pag 23;
- Resistance to Nucleotide Excision Repair of 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxyguanosine/adenosine lesion to Nucleotide Excision Repair in Nucleosomes. K. Kropachev, M.A. Terzidis, A. Masi, C. Chatgilialoglu, M. Kolbanovskiy, Z. Liu, S. Ding, Y. Cai, S. Broyde, N.E. Geacintov, V. Shafirovich;
- Purine 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxynucleoside Lesions, C. Chatgilialoglu, A. Masi, M. A. Terzidis. COST CM1201 Biomimetic Radical Chemistry, May 5th-7th, 2013, p ag.31;
- Synthesis and Characterization of Oligonucleotides as models of DNA containing Biomarkers of Free Radical Damage, A. Masi, C. Chatgilialoglu. 11th International Symposium on Organic Free Radicals (ISOFR-11), Bern, Switzerland, 1th-5th July 2012, PO-09, pag. 49;
- (5'R)- and (5'S)-5',8-Cyclo-2'-deoxyguanosine Lesions: Synthetic Strategies and Biomimetic Studies, M.A. Terzidis, A. Masi, G. Andreano, L. Cellai, J.Ravanat, C. Chatgilialoglu. COST CM0603 Chembioradical Zagreb, June 14th-17th, 2011, pag.37;
- b-Peptido Sulfonamides. Analogues of biocative peptides containig taurine and chiral b-amino-ethanesulfonic acid residues, A. Masi. European School of Medicinal Chemistry, Urbino 2th-7th July 2006, pag 71;
- b-Peptido Sulfonamides. Analogues of bioactive peptides containig taurine and chiral b-amino ethanesulfonic acid residues, C.Giordano, A. Masi, A. Sansone. Conference on the Scientific Research, Department of Pharmacy, University "La Sapienza", Rome, 2004.
Conferences / Seminars
- Synthesis and properties of oligonucleotides containig purine 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxynucleoside-lesions as model of free radical DNA damage. COST CM1201, 1stWG2 meeting in Athens, Oct 17th-19th, 2013.
- Dyastereomeric 5',8-cyclo-2'-deoxypurines: brief overview of synthetic strategies, modelling and in vivo biological activity. COST CM1201,WG2-WG4 meeting in Dublin, July 23th-25th, 2015.