• >160 articles published. Cited >7000 times, h-index=47.
• Awards from the Italian Society of Chemistry, Royal Society of Chemistry, Federation of the European Material Societies.
• Editor for Wiley of a book on Flexible Carbon-based Electronics.
• >70 invited talks at scientific conferences.
• Lecturer for science festivals, university and high-school programs, television programs.
• >60 public lectures on science, chemistry, history and nanotechnology, given to general public and to >40 classes of high-school students.
• Columnist for the scientific magazine “Sapere”.
• Author of two biographies on A. Einstein and I. Newton.
• Scientific dissemination awards received in 2015-2016-2017.
SCIENTIFIC PROJECT MANAGEMENT
• Coordinator of several European and national research projects (ESF, Marie-Curie actions).
• Leader of the research line "ADVANCED MATERIALS" of CNR-ISOF.
• Supervisor of postdoc, Ph.D. and master students.
• Vice-director and work package leader of the Graphene Flagship project (>150 partners, 10 years duration, 1B€ budget).
MAIN SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH TOPICS
|SUPRAMOLECULAR CHEMISTRY FOR ORGANIC ELECTRONICS
Develop innovative techniques to assemble small molecules and polymers using weak, reversible interactions, to obtain hierarchical functional materials for energy conversion and microelectronics applications.
Produce innovative graphene-organic hybrids for optoelectronics, energy storage or mechanics, using covalent and supramolecular functionalization of graphene. In particular, use the high affinity of organic dyes and semiconducting polymers with graphene to obtain solutions, transistors or sensors.
|ELECTROCHEMISTRY FOR GRAPHENE PRODUCTION AND FUNCTIONALIZATION
Study the use electric fields to exfoliate graphene and process it into thin layers and foams. Main applications in energy storage, composites and catalysis.
Also, use SPM to measure and modify the electrochemical properties of 2D sheet at the nanoscale.
Find new techniques for the electrical and structural characterization of organic materials at the nanoscale using Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM). In particular, use electrostatic interactions in Kelvin Probe-SPM to map quantitatively charge generation and charge transport in organic materials with lateral resolution below 10 nm and potential resolution below 1 mV.
|COMPOSITES FOR MECHANICAL AND BIOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS
Study the interaction of 2D nano-objects such as graphene and graphene oxide with biological polymers and human cells. In particular, study the effect of sheet lateral size on biotoxicity and the mechanical improvement of biopolymers using graphene oxide.
- Graphene and related materials in hierarchical fiber composites: Production techniques and key industrial benefits.
Valorosi F, De Meo E, Blanco-Varela T, Martorana B, Veca A, Pugno N, Kinloch IA, Anagnostopoulos G, Galiotis C, Bertocchi F, Gomez J, Treossi E, Young RJ, Palermo V
Composites Science and Technology, 185, #107848, 2020
- Core-shell graphene oxide-polymer hollow fibers as water filters with enhanced performance and selectivity.
Melucci M, Kovtun A, Bianchi A, Zambianchi M, Bettini C, Ruani G, Corticelli F, Bocchi L, Stante F, Gazzano M, Marforio TD, Calvaresi M, Minelli M, Navacchia ML, Palermo V
Faraday Discussions, Accepted manuscript, 2020[/size]
- Production and processing of graphene and related materials.
Backes C, et al.
2D Materials, 7, #022001, 2020
- A robust, modular approach to produce graphene–MOx multilayer foams as electrodes for Li-ion batteries.
Xia ZY, Christian M, Arbizzani C, Morandi V, Gazzano M, Quintano V, Kovtun A, Palermo V
Nanoscale, 11, 5265, 2019
- Graphene oxide–polysulfone filters for tap water purification, obtained by fast microwave oven treatment.
Kovtun A, Zambianchi M, Bettini C, Liscio A, Gazzano M, Corticelli F, Treossi E, Navacchia ML, Palermo V, Melucci M
Nanoscale, 11, 22780, 2019
- Graphene Transistors via in Situ Voltage-Induced Reduction of Graphene-Oxide under Ambient Conditions.
Mativetsky JM, Liscio A, Treossi E, Orgiu E, Zanelli A, Samori P, Palermo V
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 133, 14320, 2011
- Local Current Mapping and Patterning of Reduced Graphene Oxide.
Mativetsky JM, Treossi E, Orgiu E, Melucci M, P. VG, Samorì P, Palermo V
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 132, 14130, 2010
- Molecular self-assembly across multiple length scales.
Palermo V, Samori P
Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, 46, 4428, 2007
FULL PUBLICATION LIST AVAILABLE ON:
Dec 2017 Scientific dissemination award, granted by the Italian book association (AIB). 1st classified in the “articles” section.
Jan 2017 ChemPlusChem - Early carrier series, an initiative to feature up and coming researchers whose focus is on multidisciplinary research centering on chemistry.
Dec 2016 2nd classified in the “Books” section – mathematical, physical and natural science for the scientific dissemination award, granted by the Italian book association (AIB).
Dec 2015 Scientific dissemination award, granted by the Italian book association (AIB). 3rd classified in the “articles” section.
Jan 2014 ChemPlusChem - Early carrier series, an initiative to feature up and coming researchers whose focus is on multidisciplinary research centering on chemistry.
Sep 2013 Award of the Italian Society of Chemistry (SCI), 1st prize young scientist in materials science.
Jan 2013 Emerging Investigator of the Royal Society of Chemistry for Chemical Communications (best work from scientists in the early stages of their independent career).
Jul 2012 LECTURER AWARD by the Federation of the European Material Societies (FEMS) to selected young materials scientist who have contributed significantly to a recently emerging topic of materials science and engineering.
Sep 2006 1st prize young scientist in materials science, Italian Society for Microscopy Sciences (S.I.S.M.).
Jun 2005 Best Ph. D. Thesis, 8th European Conference on Molecular electronics.
Jun 2003 Best Graduate Student Award E-MRS conference, Strasbourg.
2003, Premio “Coop for Words” per racconti brevi.
2003, Premio “Il calice e la Spada” per racconti brevi.
2004, Premio “Coop for Words” per racconti brevi.
2003, Premio “Racconti di...vini” per racconti brevi.